Union Home Minister Amit Shah said on Thursday that the situation in Manipur is largely under control, as there has been no death in the last four months, but it cannot be called satisfactory, as the displaced people are still living in relief camps.
Responding to a brief debate in the Lok Sabha, a statutory resolution confirming the implementation of President’s rule in Manipur was adopted, Shah also said that after President’s rule came into force in Manipur, discussion was held with Maetai and Cookie and separate meetings were held with various organizations of both communities.
He said that the Ministry of Home Affairs will soon call a joint meeting, he said that the government is working to find a way to end the violence, the top priority is to establish peace. President’s rule was imposed in Manipur on 13 February, when the then Chief Minister N Biren Singh resigned on 9 February after a struggle of months. Ethnic violence began in May 2023.
Shah said that the opposition is trying to present the picture that the ethnic conflict between Metei and Cookie communities was the first violence in Manipur and the BJP -led government failed to maintain law and order. “During the rule of previous governments, there were three major incidents of violence in a period of 10 years, 3 years and 6 months. He said, “Neither the Prime Minister nor the Union Home Minister visited the state after those incidents.”
The Home Minister said that there have been no death in Manipur in the last four months, only two people have been injured and the situation is largely under control. However, he said that the situation will not be considered satisfactory until the displaced people are staying in the camps. He said that there is a discussion about the rehabilitation package for the displaced people.
The Home Minister said that the Manipur High Court had started due to the decision of the Manipur High Court regarding the reservation of ethnic violence between two communities in Manipur. He said, “These were neither riots nor violence related to terrorism, but ethnic violence between the two communities that occurred due to the interpretation of the High Court’s decision.” He said that there should be no violence and ethnic violence should not be linked to any political party. He said that 260 people have lost their lives in Manipur so far.
The Home Minister said that between 1993 and 1998, there was a Naga-Kuki struggle in Manipur and it continued for five years in which 750 people were killed and sporadic incidents took place for a decade. He said that more than 50 villages were destroyed in the 1997-98 cookie-dictation struggle, 40,000 people were displaced, 352 people were killed and 5,000 houses were burnt.
He said that in 1993, more than 100 people were killed during six months long Maetai-Pangle. Shah said that in a specific situation, when the two communities considered the High Court’s decision against them, violence erupted within just two days. He said that on the day of the High Court’s decision, companies of security forces were sent to Manipur by air.
The Home Minister said that when Biren Singh resigned as the Chief Minister, the Governor discussed 37 BJP MLAs, 6 NPF, 5 of NPF, 1 of JD (U) and 5 Congress MLAs. When most of the members said that they were not in a position to form the government, the Union Cabinet recommended to impose President’s rule which the President accepted. He said that the government wants peace to be restored as soon as possible in Manipur, as well as rehabilitation efforts and wounds of affected people should be healed.
Earlier, taking part in the debate, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor said that his party supports the proposal but wants to restore peace and stability in the state. He said, “End extremism, restore peace and stability, promote dialogue with each other, promote inclusion.”
Sayani Ghosh of Trinamool Congress said that his party also supports the proposal, but he is in favor of early peace restoration.
DMK K.K. Kanimozhi said that divisive politics in Manipur should end. He said, “We want the general situation to come back, restoration and harmony.
NCP (SCP) member Supriya Sule said that President’s rule is not good for democracy and he demanded “strong intervention” from the Home Minister to bring back the general status.
” Under Article 356 (1) of the Constitution in relation to the state of the Constitution on 13 February 2025 under Article 356 (1) of the Constitution, the Proposal issued by the President, the proposal was passed by the Sadan.