hear the news
In order to secure social security, betterment of working people, safety and better working conditions in the country’s labor laws, the government has made preparations to make reforms under the new labor code. According to sources related to the government, the Center can implement the new labor laws from the date of July. If this step is taken to reform the labor laws under the new labor code, then it will bring many changes in the working hours of the workers, their contribution to the EPF and in hand salary.
After the implementation of the new labor laws, where the contribution of workers in PF will increase, their salary in hand will decrease. The government is preparing to implement four new labor codes. The government believes that with the adoption of new labor laws, where investment will increase in the country, employment opportunities will also increase. According to sources related to the government, the purpose of implementing the new labor law is to improve the social security of workers including pension and gratuity, labor welfare, health, safety and working conditions. Provisions will be made in the new Labor Code on ensuring safety at workplace for women.
Let us know what changes will be seen after the implementation of the new labor laws-
1. If the new labor laws are implemented, then under this companies will get the freedom to increase the working hours. They can increase the working hours from 8-9 hours to 12 hours. In return, companies will have to give employees weekly leave for three days a week. As such, the government does not intend to increase the working hours throughout the week.
2. After the implementation of the new labor laws, the overtime hours for workers will be increased from 50 hours (under the Factories Act) to 125 hours (as per the new labor code).
3. After the implementation of these laws, there will be a change in the take home salary and the contribution of the workers to the EPF. In the new labor laws, a provision can be made to keep the basic salary of the workers at least 50 percent of the gross salary. This will increase the contribution of employer and employee in PF. The second effect of this will be that it will reduce the take home salary of the workers. The private sector employees will be greatly affected by this provision coming into force.
4. Under the new laws, the lump sum amount and gratuity received after retirement will also increase. This will help people to make their life better after retirement.
5. The government is also contemplating to rationalize the leave of workers under the new labor laws. If the employees’ leave is saved in one year, then there may be a provision in the new labor laws to add it to the next year’s calendar. In addition, the shortest working days in the year can be reduced from 240 days to 180 days. However, there will be no change in the total leave in the year. One day leave may be provided for every 20 days of work. Along with this, no limit can be placed on carrying forward the remaining leave in 30 days of the month, meaning the leave can be carried forward.
6. Under the new labor code, work from can be brought within the legal framework. Let us tell you that during the Corona epidemic in the country, in many sectors, work from home was the only support for taking work from the workers. In such a situation, the government plans that by recognizing it legally, it can be used for the workers of the country, especially in the service sector of the country.
Let us tell you that at present 23 states in the country have given their consent to the new provisions of the Labor Code. 7 more states are yet to give their consent. This new labor code has been passed by the Parliament.